Wednesday 2 March 2011

Old Stuff Day

Picture by FirstKeeper on deviantART

With the blog being a mere six months old I deliberated for quite some time as to whether I would submit any of my own posts for Old Stuff Day, do any of them qualify as being old? Are any of them of enough significance to warrant a fresh airing?

Finally I decided to stop being so damn self effacing and just pick something from the beginning that would hopefully be of interest and could actually be of use, well that is if you play Blood Angels or any of their Successors and like cluttering up your gaming table with shiny but far from necessary accoutrements.

Just before we get to that though and before those of you without a Sanguine affiliation move on; I'd also like to submit a link to the very first blog post I read; it was found via FTW and was, along with Ron's site, instrumental in me joining this wonderful blogging community. The Dreadnought Drop Pod Conversion is a great tutorial by Lantz on his blog The Magnet Pro and I now make all my pods this way, four thus far; I highly recommend it both for ease of use and for the versatility it allows in the use of your Drop Pods.

Right, let's do the timewarp again!

The Angels Tarot : Psychic Power Cards for the Blood Angels Codex

I can't believe a week has gone by since my last post, though I have been busy creating a few new pages on the blog for the purpose of archiving; so I've excused myself from penance for now.

Today I'm posting up some cards I made, again utilising great artwork found online (please see my disclaimer at the foot of the blog); to represent the psychic powers from the 5th Edition Blood Angel Codex. I use them for my Blood Drinker Chapter but obviously they would be relevant to any son's of Sanguinius.




The idea behind them was that I always liked the 2nd Edition wargear and psychic cards, I can be quite forgetful and usually have enough scribbled notes and scraps of paper along the gaming table edge to keep Keyser Soze talking for days!




The 2nd Ed cards were smart and made for easy reference, so with that in mind I knocked these up to have a clear reminder of what powers my Librarians have in a particular game and also they can be placed on the table to mark powers that are in play and by whom.













It took me a fair while to find what I considered to be fitting pictures for each power and one in particular (The Blood Lance) I'm still not quite happy with, but so much to do so little time. They were cobbled together using Paint, which is about the limit of my picture editing skills.


 

On the reverse I note a basic summary of how the power works, for those games where you've got to turn six and you're struggling to remember the name of your Primarch. The cards were then run through a laminator for a bit of durability. Anyway just a little idea on how you can both personalise and organise some of your gaming kit.

Some of the pictures used 'Sanguinius holding the Gate on Terra' by David Sondered , 'Blood Angel' by Nick Kay , 'Angels of Death' by Geoff Taylor , 'Cherubael' by Adrian Smith , 'Mephiston' by Mark William Smith , 'Grey Knight' by Mark Gibbons 

5 comments:

Warhammer39999 said...

Good idea--though it's too bad you didn't do them for Ultramarines, or I'd steal them from you.

They're probably not necessary, but I'm so forgetful when I play, that I think something like this could prove helpful in a game. Even if I wasn't forgetting my powers, they'd add character to the game.

Thanks for sharing... and Happy Old Stuff Day!

Porky said...

You got me excited with that! Top-drawer stuff. Even besides the practicalities, having the art on the table would really add to the game. And I don't see that Space Hulk pic nearly often enough for my liking - that's another of the many highlights of the day!

The Angry Lurker said...

Those cards are excellent, very nice work.

Bix said...

Thanks guys, it was great to see such support for Old Stuff Day.

@Rob, with that in mind well done mate, the idea worked a treat & we all appreciate the effort you made both in pushing the concept and then getting round the blogs to support it.

I may have to do a set for the Ultra's now.

@Porky, glad you liked the cards and yes that pic by Mark Gibbons is one of the lost gems; I searched for ages online for it to no avail. Luckily I have a slightly dog eared cutting from an old White Dwarf.

@Angry, as always mate cheers, I really appreciate the feedback & support.

Warhammer39999 said...

As much as I appreciate it, please don't go to trouble on my account--although if you enjoy making them, by all means, do so.

Though, that could be a kind of nifty shtick for your blog if you wanted to create templates like that for each race's psychic powers...

Post a Comment